Search This Blog

Friday, February 3, 2012

So Many Things Happening Here

  Well, life has been busy here in all aspects of my life which is the reason I haven't posted in a while.
  I guess, first, I have to address the recent award winners. My thoughts vary on this, but I want to congratulate the winners. I have most of the books (still waiting for a copy of Breaking Stalin's Nose), and they are good books.
   Would my lists be different? Of course. But my decisions would not made by a committee. I wouldn't have to concede to a vote or work for compromise. I do, however, wish the Newbery committee had given more honors than two. This year was filled with VERY worthy contenders deserving of recognition.
    Next, I've been getting a little psyched out about the Highlights Foundation workshop in June. The original list of faculty has grown, and with each new name, I'm feeling the pressure of "measuring up." It's an amazing line-up, and I can't believe anyone who is serious about writing for children can pass up the value it offers. Additionally, the workshop was written about by a Highlights Foundation blog group yesterday (and it mentions yours truly). You can read all about it here:http://swaggerwriters.blogspot.com/
     I have been reading, but some of my interest has not been with children's literature lately. It's been about dogs and puppies. In a few days, our dog will deliver a surprise package. Actually, four to six packages. So, I've been reading up on dog pregnancy, whelping pups, and getting things ready.
   In addition, my son's AP English class was reading an "adult" book that had been on my stack for YEARS. My son, not an avid reader but a focused one when he finds a book he likes, asked me to read it too because he wanted to talk about it. So I picked up THE LIFE OF PI and loved it almost as much as he did. (It's his favorite book, but To Kill a Mockingbird holds that position for me.)
  I'll be posting soon about the books I've been reading recently, what's on the horizon, and Breaking Stalin's Nose when it comes in.
  Until then, keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment